Most people are unaware of the health benefits in activating nuts.
Nuts are generally considered to be a healthy snack food that are high in protein, essential fats and fibre…. However not many people are aware of some of the natural chemicals found in nuts that may interfere with digestion.
Nuts (as well as seeds) contain phytic acid, an acid which our digestive system cannot break down. Have you ever felt full or heavy after eating too many nuts? This is why. Excessive consumption may put a large amount of pressure on our digestive system.
Our body will produce the enzymes that is needed to allow for digestion to occur. There are approximately 20 different enzymes responsible for the digestion of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. However, nuts contain enzyme inhibitors that prevent proper absorption and digestion.
Soaking your nuts in warm water will neutralize these enzyme inhibitors, and also help encourage the production of beneficial enzymes. These enzymes, in turn, increase many vitamins, especially B vitamins. It also makes these nuts much easier to digest and the nutrients more easily absorbed!
How do you activate nuts?
- Dissolve salt into an adequate amount of water (depending on how many nuts you wish to activate)
- Pour nuts into a large bowl.
- Cover with the salt water solution (use enough water to cover).
- Soak for approximately 7-12 hours.
- Strain and rinse the nuts.
- Spread over a dehydrator rack, or baking tray
- Place in oven/dehydrator
- Remove when completely dry!
- Store in a air-tight container.