There is no doubt about it you need to sleep! When deprived of sleep, this can have a huge impact on your body and mind, making it difficult to meet even the simplest challenges of everyday life.
According to Chinese medicine authority and naturopath Paul Keogh, Chinese medicinal herbs can transform the lives of those suffering insomnia and poor-quality sleep. From a Chinese medicine perspective, your body is comprised of much more than physical substance. Qi (pronounced chee) is the vital energy or ‘life force’ flowing through all living things; invigorating and animating the body and its organ functions. Shen plays a key role in higher mental functions, including many of the intellectual and spiritual aspects of consciousness, and underpins your ability to perceive, interact and communicate. Supporting the normal flow of these energies during the day and night can significantly benefit people suffering insomnia and poor-quality sleep.
Certain Chinese herbs can assist in maintaining the healthy flow of Qi and ‘settling Shen’ to calm the mind and spirit and promote a sound and restful sleep without causing daytime drowsiness. Paul says “Look for these non-addictive herbs in combination because their synergy invariably delivers superior and longer lasting results than any single herb can offer”:
- Zizyphus – this hypnotic (sleep inducing) and sedative herb quietens the mind and helps relieve insomnia, irritability and mild anxiety.
- Passionflower – reduces insomnia and nervous tension by providing significant hypnotic, sedative, analgesic (pain relieving) and muscle relaxing effects.
- Albizia – calms the mind to address emotional constraint manifesting in anger, depression, insomnia, irritability and poor memory.
- Polygala – relaxes, especially when excessive brooding, or pent-up emotion leads to insomnia, restlessness and excessive dreaming.
- Poria – one of China’s premier tonics that supports immune function so often compromised in chronic insomnia.
- Biota – alleviates excess nervous tension to calm the mind and spirit, and relieve insomnia.
- Schisandra – an excellent support herb to tonify and strengthen functions of the nervous system, immune system and liver.